Thursday, April 9, 2009

MySixWriMo Day 9

*****

Today’s a random extra inspiration day. For your reading pleasure, I submit:

SIX REASONS TO MYSIXWRIMO

1) To get the creative juices flowing. It’s hard to face that novel when you first sit down. Start with something small. Limber up, then tackle the tough stuff.

2) To have fun. What’s more fun than finishing a story? When the story is only six sentences long, you get to the fun part even quicker. Woo hoo! You’re done! Now crack that beer open.

3) To challenge yourself. It’s not easy to write a story in 6 sentences. Are you up for it? Just how much can you say and how well?

4) To take a break. We get in ruts sometimes on those long, marathon projects. Sixes are pauses that refresh us, but don’t hijack us from our main focus.

5) To unearth marketable work. Micros are hot. Join the party. Build your audience. Show them how brilliant and brief you can be.

6) To find that gem you never knew you had inside you. You never know what you’ll get. Could be a micro, could be a novel, but you never know until you start to write it down.

Also, a quick announcement: I know Easter is busy for everyone, so I’ll be posting Sunday’s Writer’s Book of Matches prompt on Saturday. I’ll post two to give you a choice.

Now to the prompts.

From Robert Lee Brewer at Poetic Asides:


For today's prompt, I want you write a poem (six) about a memory. The memory can be good or bad. The memory can be a blend of several memories. I suppose it could even be a memory that you're not sure you remember correctly. Take your time finding a good one (or good ones).

And the prompt du jour from The Writer’s Book of Matches (Writer’s Digest Books):

“A woman buys a copy of her high school yearbook through an eBay auction.”


There are so many reasons to write those sixes, so don’t tarry. See you in the comments.

5 comments:

Greta Igl said...

Don't look too closely. There's a 7th sentence. I know, I know! But I couldn't figure a way around it.

Things Change

The email was brief and poetic: I know it’s been a lifetime, but I wanted you to know how I felt all those years ago.

Randy Jaeger…was he the cute one who’d had the locker down the hall, the punk rocker with the long black bangs and the rat tail? But a little voice told her, no, Randy was the one with the scaly dandruff, the one who laughed like a donkey, the lurchy, creepy kid who reeked like cat pee.

She wished she hadn’t tossed out that high school yearbook.

She sat in the glow of the monitor, memories of her golden years passing by, the days where she drew guys in like tame dogs. Perhaps dandruff Randy had changed, too, and if he hadn’t perhaps she’d changed enough to appreciate him.

She took a deep breath and clicked Reply.

Stephen said...

Interesting take on this one, Greta. I like the character and seeing how the need to be loved and appreciated can create such a void that it causes a person to do things she wouldn't do under better circumstances: like lowering her standards.

Jane Banning said...

Hi everyone,
Longing for summer. Greta, you must be longing for dandruff??
:-)

Lake of My Heart
My seven year old sat on the end of the dock, his outline black against the diamond-chip water, inky pines a backdrop on the opposite shore. His seashell-perfect ear turned towards the loon call. A loon chick, downy brown, drifted just a few yards out. One of the parents surfaced from the clear copper water, clucked, and slid a slim fish into the baby’s beak. My boy’s fathomable eyes shone clear and wide, and he splashed a summer smile all over me.

Jane Banning said...

PS: I evened things out and made a 5 so you could have your 7, Greta!

Greta Igl said...

Gorgeous, Jane. I feel like I'm there...