Monday, December 7, 2009

Still Kicking...and Baking!

*****
I've been remiss. Here's the latest:

Last month, I successfully completed NaNoWriMo. I have a nearly completed first draft of a promising novel titled, The Blue Hills, which I'm itching to finish and revise. My goal for this month is to complete the story arc by writing a scene a day. If I stay on pace, I should be done well before Christmas, God willing and the creek don't rise.

My story "Free" was selected for The Best of Every Day Fiction 2. This story sparked a lot of controversy on the EDF site, enough that I was selected for the EDF author of the month interview last year. Many thanks to all who loved or hated it.

Other recent highlights include online classes with Jordan Rosenfeld. I recently completed Jordan's Image Building class and recommend it highly.

Now, I look forward to settling in for some Christmas cheer and a wallop of snow. We're expecting up to a foot here in Southeastern Wisconsin over the next two days. Perfect weather for holiday baking. I host a cookie exchange at my house every year. This past weekend, I worked on candies for the party. The recipe below is my personal favorite. I make several batches every year.

Potato Chip Clusters

9 - 1 oz squares white baking chocolate (or 1 - 12 oz bag white baking chips)
2 cups crushed potato chips (measure after crushing)
1/2 cup chopped pecans

In a large microwave safe bowl, melt white chocolate. Stir in chips and pecans. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto wax paper covered sheets. Refrigerate until set. Makes about 3 dozen totally addicting candies.

4 comments:

... Paige said...

Glad to hear you made it high five at ya

J.C. Towler said...

Heya Greta,

Didn't know about your EDF story; it was before I became a regular reader but fortunately it wasn't that hard to find. There are some folks with some strong (and after you've hung around awhile, somewhat predictable) opinions, but you can't shy away from such things if you want to be a writer because it's just a macrocosm of a wider reading audience.

Congrats on getting in the antho. They did me the honor of picking a couple of mine which were nowhere near as hotly debated as yours. Of course, yours was a fathomless loch whereas mine were silly rain puddles you could barely skip a stone across.

I do enjoy EDF and keep my finger in the writing game by starting the day with a flash from the site.

Hope you stay warm in the snow storm. We're down around freezing, which is uncomfortable but manageable.

--John

Stephen said...

Congrats on "Free". I remember the debate, and I also remember how you enjoyed the various opinions about the story. Stay warm.

J.C. Towler said...

Tap, tap, tap. Is this thing on? You trapped under a blanket of snow or are your fingers just frozen to the keyboard?
:-)

Happy New Year.

--John